Today is National Breakfast Day, so I’ve decided to dedicate today’s National Nutrition Month daily post to my favorite meal of the day.
Everyone’s heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but is it really? Actually, yes it is. Research shows that people who eat breakfast get more fiber, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and other nutrients versus those who do not, giving breakfast eaters a greater likelihood of meeting their daily nutrition goals. Sadly, breakfast eating is on the decline, with 20 percent of Americans skipping the morning meal altogether.
Grabbing a bite in the morning needn’t be time-consuming or an elaborate affair. While I don’t often advocate eating on the run, if that’s the only way to ensure you’ll get nutrients in your belly, I say go for it.
For those who know me (or who read this previous post), you know how much I *love* cereal, and it’s my usual go-to meal for breakfast. It’s easy, convenient, rich in nutrients and – at least the kinds I choose – low in sugar as well as sodium, fat and other things we all could stand to get less of. I measure my cereal to make sure I don’t overdo it on portion, and then top it with fresh fruit and nonfat milk for added nutrients and taste. But cereal isn’t the only entree I serve myself for breakfast. Here are some other ideas, both for a sit-down meal as well as for those on-the-go:
- Oatmeal (preferably old-fashioned rolled oats or Irish oatmeal) made with lowfat or nonfat milk and topped with berries (fresh or frozen) chopped almonds, cinnamon and brown sugar (or sugar substitute)
- Eggs with whole wheat toast and a slice of 2% cheese
- Lowfat or nonfat yogurt with fresh fruit and 1/4 cup cereal or granola mixed in
- Banana roll-up: spread a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter, place a banana in the middle and roll up for a meal on the go. Add a cappuccino or latte for calcium
- Toasted English muffin with peanut butter and sliced apples
- Cottage cheese and cucumbers stuffed into a whole-wheat mini pita
What are your breakfast favorites?